September 8, 2012,
San Diego, Calif.
Call to order. President Stanley J. Robboy, MD, called to order the annual stated meeting of the College of American Pathologists at 8:18 AM, Sept. 8, 2012, in the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Diego. Also presiding were president-elect Gene N. Herbek, MD, and secretary-treasurer Paul Valenstein, MD.
Minutes. Dr. Valenstein, secretary-treasurer, came to the podium to read the minutes of the last meeting. It was moved, seconded, and carried to dispense with the reading and approve the minutes of the March 17, 2012 spring business meeting of the College of American Pathologists as published in the May 2012 issue of CAP TODAY.
CAP awards and honors. Dr. Robboy presented the following awards to recognize and honor CAP members for their outstanding achievements in the practice of pathology and for the College.
- The CAP Distinguished Patient Care Award to Robert J. Penny, MD, PhD, for his extensive scientific translational research to accelerate the adoption of molecular pathways and associated therapies in the fields of pathology and oncology to improve cancer patients’ lives.
- The CAP Outstanding Service Award to Louis D. Wright Jr., MD, for his contributions to increasing the College’s awareness of the role of technology in driving the transformation of pathology and for his dedication to the College’s movement toward becoming a force in personalized medicine driven by molecular science.
- The Distinguished Service Award to William L. Roberts, MD, PhD, for his contributions to the practice of pathology. He was an active member of the CAP since 1994 and most recently served as chair of the Chemistry Committee. Dr. Roberts was honored posthumously and his award was accepted by his wife and daughter.
- The Public Service Award to Susan E. Spires, MD, for her recognized expertise in payment issues and her many continuous years of service as the CAP representative for pathology on the American Medical Association Relative Value Scale Update Committee.
- The CAP Resident Advocate Award to Betsy D. Bennett, MD, for her dedication to graduate medical education and her contributions to and support of pathology residents.
- The CAP Outstanding Communicator Award to Barbarajean Magnani, PhD, MD, for her positive portrayal of the pathologist and the field of pathology in leading by example the transformation of the specialty of pathology. Dr. Magnani was not present to accept the award.
Necrology report. Dr. Robboy called attention to the necrology report that was available to audience members and noted the loss of two College fellows: Loyd R. Wagner, MD, a past president, and Howard M. Rawnsley, MD, a past governor. Dr. Robboy asked everyone to stand to observe a moment of silence in remembrance of all of the colleagues lost in the last year.
Recognition of retiring Board members. Dr. Robboy asked the officers to come forward. He then thanked retiring governors M. Elizabeth Hammond, MD, and Gail H. Vance, MD, for their years of service on the Board of Governors and presented each with a plaque in appreciation of their Board service.
In addition, Dr. Robboy expressed appreciation to Nicole D. Riddle, MD, for her service as chair of the Residents Forum; he thanked Rebecca L. Johnson, MD, for her service as vice speaker of the House of Delegates; and he expressed his gratitude to Stephen Bauer, MD, who completed his term as past president.
CAP voting results and installations. Dr. Robboy announced the winners of the 2012 CAP election. The following members were elected as governors for 2012–2015.
- James S. Hernandez, MD, MS, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- George F. Kwass, MD, Haverhill, Mass.
- Michael B. Prystowsky, MD, PhD, Bronx, NY
- R. Bruce Williams, MD, Shreveport, La.
Drs. Hernandez, Kwass, Prystowsky, and Williams were sworn in and took the oath of office.
Dr. Robboy announced that the newly elected secretary-treasurer for 2012–2015 is Dr. Valenstein, Ann Arbor, Mich. He was sworn in and took the oath of office.
Other business and adjournment. Dr. Robboy called for old business and new business to come before the College membership meeting. Hearing none, he adjourned this stated business meeting of the College at 8:40 AM.