Updated April 9, 2013
The CAP Foundation’s Leadership Development Award introduces young pathologists to the specialty’s issues and leadership opportunities at the institutional, local, state, and national levels. The award objective is to enhance the education and experience of award recipients by immersing them in the concerns confronting medicine, particularly the specialty of pathology.
Travel awards up to $1,000 are available for pathology residents to attend the fall Residents Forum meeting, October 12, 2013, in Orlando, Florida, and the spring Residents Forum meeting, March 1, 2014 in San Diego, California.
Award recipients who attend the Residents Forum gain a broad understanding of the many factors affecting the future of pathology. They will attend the joint session with the House of Delegates, participate in small group sessions with other residents, network with practicing pathologists, and gain access to leadership opportunities such as the Residents Forum Executive Committee.
We expect the recipient’s own institution will support the resident’s attendance by authorizing permission to attend. If meeting expenses exceed the award amount, a resident can use his/her own travel funds or seek department funds to cover the balance of expenses.
Open to all pathology residents and fellows in training. Applicants must be CAP Junior Members. All applicants are considered regardless of age, race, gender, national origin, or religion. Awardees must maintain CAP Junior Member status. Those who convert to CAP Fellow member are ineligible to use any unfilled portion of the award.
Applications must include:
- Completed CAP Foundation application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Narrative summary (no more than 750 words) containing the following information:
- Discuss your interest in developing leadership skills
- Describe your interest in specialty issues at the institutional, local, state, and national levels related to influencing the direction of patient care
- Relate why CAP Foundation support is necessary to attend the Residents Forum meeting
The CAP Foundation Grants Committee chooses Leadership Development Award recipients based on peer reviews on behalf of the CAP Foundation Board of Directors. Factors considered will include, but are not limited to:
- Value of leadership development to the applicant
- Merit of application
- Degree of innovation and effectiveness in applying what you have learned
- Capacity and willingness to share information and experience with colleagues
At the conclusion of the Residents Forum meeting, the Foundation asks awardees to submit a photo, a brief article (250 words) describing their experience, and a completed short evaluation form.
* Formerly the Young Leader Award; name change effective December 2006