Urgent diagnosis: a medical condition that in most cases should be addressed as soon as possible.
Significant unexpected diagnosis: a medical condition that is clinically unusual or unforeseen and should be addressed at some point in the patient’s course.
- Each institution should create its own policy for both AP urgent diagnoses and significant unexpected diagnoses.
- Pathology departments should collaborate with clinical staff to determine specific urgent diagnoses.
- Significant unexpected diagnoses depend heavily on pathologists’ judgment.
- Reasonable time frame, no longer than the same day of diagnosis, should be adopted.
- Oral and direct communication with physicians is recommended, but other communication methods may be established.
- Document the communication.