Sept. 10, 2011 Grapevine, Tex.
Call to order. President Stephen N. Bauer, MD, called to order the annual stated meeting of the College of American Pathologists at 8:15 AM, Sept. 10, 2011 in the Gaylord-Texan Hotel in Grapevine, Tex.
Also presiding were president-elect Stanley J. Robboy, MD, and secretary-treasurer Gene N. Herbek, MD.
Minutes. Dr. Herbek, secretary-treasurer, rose to read the minutes of the last meeting. It was moved, seconded, and carried to dispense with the reading, and approve the minutes of the Sept. 25, 2010 business meeting of the College of American Pathologists as published in the March 2011 issue of CAP TODAY.
CAP awards and honors. Dr. Bauer presented the following awards to recognize and honor CAP members for their outstanding achievements to the practice of pathology and to the College:
- CAP Distinguished Patient Care Award to David M. Parham, MD, for his outstanding contributions to patient care, especially for children afflicted with cancer and other diseases.
- CAP Outstanding Service Award to Robert Breckenridge, MD, MBA, to recognize his outstanding service to the CAP as a delegate, governor, and spokesperson over a span of more than 25 years.
- Distinguished Service Award to David Wilkinson, MD, PhD, to recognize his outstanding contributions to pathology and for his work developing innovative programs in evidence-based quality laboratory performance and management.
- Public Service Award to Kathleen McMonigal, MD, for her outstanding accomplishments and dedication to patients while serving as the chief pathologist and director of clinical laboratories for NASA.
- CAP Resident Advocate Award to Suzanne Zein-Eldin Powell, MD, for her outstanding contributions to resident education and for her support of pathology residents and fellows.
Necrology report. Dr. Bauer called attention to the necrology report that was available to audience members and noted the loss of three College fellows: Emmett B. Reilly, MD, speaker of the CAP House of Delegates from 1988 to 1992; Victor Savino, MD, governor of the College from 1991 to 1997; and Washington Winn, MD, who was recognized posthumously with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his service to the College. Dr. Bauer asked everyone to stand to observe a moment of silence in remembrance of all colleagues lost in the last year.
Recognition of retiring Board members. Dr. Bauer thanked retiring governors James A. Robb, MD, Jay F. Schamberg, MD, and Louis D. Wright Jr., MD, for their years of service as CAP governors and presented each with a plaque of appreciation and a past governor service pin.
In addition, Dr. Bauer expressed appreciation to Jerad Michael Gardner, MD, for his service as chair of the Residents Forum.
CAP voting results and installations. Dr. Bauer announced the winners of the 2011 CAP election. The following members were elected as governors for 2011–2014:
- Patrick E. T. Godbey, MD
- William F. Hickey, MD
- Stephen J. Sarewitz, MD
- Elizabeth A. Wagar, MD
Drs. Godbey, Hickey, and Sarewitz were sworn in and took the oath of office. Dr. Wagar was not present but was sworn in at the Sept. 14, 2011 Board Organizational Meeting.
Dr. Bauer announced the new president-elect for 2011–2013, Dr. Gene N. Herbek. He was sworn in and took the oath of office.
Other business and adjournment. Dr. Bauer called for old business and new business to come before the College membership meeting. Hearing none, he adjourned this stated business meeting of the College at 8:55 AM.