Thomas M. Sodeman, MD
- Legislative and regulatory advocacy at the federal and state levels
via a sophisticated governmental and professional affairs operation
that takes the lead and does the majority of the legwork in advocating
- Active partnerships with federal and private entities
addressing quality in medicine and in laboratories, such as the National
Quality Forum, American Medical Association, Department of Health and
Human Services Clinical Laboratory Improvement Advisory Committee,
and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Work with the Relative
Value Update Advisory Committee and other federal entities to advance
and ensure appropriate payment policies for pathologists in all settings.
- State-of-the-art educational programs and services, ranging from
a four-day annual meeting featuring the biggest names in the field
to a rich menu of online continuing medical education options.
the only political action committee representing the profession.
- The CAP Laboratory
Accreditation Program, the gold standard for quality
assurance in laboratory medicine.
- Worldwide leadership in proficiency
- Outstanding support for laboratory improvement via scientific
committees and tailored programs such as Q-Probes and Q-Tracks.
CAP Foundation, which awards $300,000 in scholarships and grants to
residents and fellows of the College each year and contributes generously
to humanitarian causes.
- Access to some of the most authoritative
and useful publications in the industry, including the Archives
of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, CAP-approved protocols for reporting on cancer specimens, and CAP
- SNOMED CT, the world’s premier medical nomenclature, a powerful tool
that will link and propel progress in every discipline of medicine
across the globe.
- Opportunities to enjoy the collegiality of one
of the finest professional communities in medicine.
Dr. Sodeman welcomes communication from CAP members. Write to him at