- Map the current process and identify steps where autoidentification can assist.
- Start measuring to determine where you are now and what you are trying to achieve—patient safety, operational efficiency, reduced capital expenses, reduced waste?
- Assess whether bar codes can accomplish the same goal.
- Consider interfaces to existing systems and applications—autoidentification much less useful if siloed from core operation.
- Who will monitor the data and act on the data? Are the data actionable?