The Cytopathology Committee members have created nongynecologic and Pap cases for participants’ online viewing as part of the 2006 education programs. The nongyn online course is available for NGC-C2006 enrollees, and the Pap online course is available for Pap-B2006 enrollees. Each course consists of two online cases with interactive questions and answers, static images, and virtual slides.
The images (Related articles: Thyoid aspirate,
40X and ThinPrep Pap test 40X)
will become familiar to you if you log on to www.cap.org and enroll in the
summer-fall Pap and nongyn online educational courses. Viewing the nongyn course
is free if your laboratory is enrolled in the Interlaboratory Comparison Program
in Nongynecologic Cytopathology. Viewing the Pap course is free if your lab
is enrolled in the Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Gynecologic Cytopathology.
Continuing education credits can be earned for the online courses:
- All participants enrolled in the nongynecologic education course can
earn two CME credits if enrolled in both courses, bringing total CME/CE to
22 hours annually if all course work is completed.
- All participants enrolled in Pap education and Pap PT programs can earn
two CME per year if enrolled in these courses, bringing total CME/CE to 12
hours annually if all course work is completed.
- There is no limit to the number of people per laboratory who can view
these cases for credit. Duplicate credit is not given for repeat viewing.
Using online cases, participants can access cases that in the past were limited to the number of laboratories that received the glass slide. New formats for case education can be used including:
- Online nongynecologic cases can be presented with additional stains and
information as seen in practice. Cellular criteria needed to make a diagnosis
for each case will be presented.
- Online Pap test cases can be presented that do not fall into the CLIA ’88
categories, such as ASC-H and atypical parakeratosis. You will need the CAP
number and kit ID number found under the bar code on the upper right side
of your laboratory or individual result form (2006 NGC-C for the NGC online
course, and 2006 Pap-B for the Pap-B online course). The NGC-C online course
will be available through Nov. 30, 2006, and the Pap-B online course will
be available through March 30, 2007. These activities will not be available
after those dates.
Here’s how to view the cases:
- Go to www.cap.org and log in with your individual user ID and password.
You can do this from any computer with an Internet connection. It is best
to view these cases with a high-speed Internet connection, though it is possible
to view them with slower connections (but with slower connections be prepared
for longer download times for the virtual slides).
If you are unsure whether you have an individual Web account with the CAP, or do not remember your user ID and password, click on the Forgot Your User ID or Password? link. You can enter the information, or enter your last name and e-mail address so that the system can send you a temporary ID and password.
If you do not have an individual Web account, click on the Create an Account link. Complete and submit the account request form. There is no fee associated with registration. You will be notified within one business day that your individual account has been activated.
- Click on the Education Programs tab. Under Course Catalog, click on Anatomic
- Click on the 2006 NGC-C or 2006 Pap-B Online Education Activity link.
- Click on the Enroll link. This will bring up the validation screen.
- Enter and submit the kit ID and seven-digit CAP numbers associated with
the NGC-C 2006 or Pap-B 2006 mailings. These numbers can be found under the
bar code in the header of the NGC or Pap laboratory form or individual result
form. Multiple people in your laboratory can use the kit ID number.
- Click on the Launch link. The first page of the activity will open.
- Read and follow the instructions provided online to complete the activity.
- Once completed, the CAP will issue and mail your CME certificate within
four weeks for the credits earned.
Please call the customer contact center at 800-323-4040 option 1# if you need additional assistance in accessing the online courses.
Barbara Blond is manager of CAP Surveys operations.