Posted November 17, 2011
The College of American Pathologists believes that
constantly striving for the highest level of analytical performance is
vital to improving the health and well-being of patients. The outstanding
case material you provide to the Nongynecologic (NGC) and Fine-Needle Aspiration Glass Slide (FNAG) Education Programs ensures the delivery of effective education. The CAP encourages all participants to submit slides, although enrollment is not contingent upon the submission of materials.
slide submission form (PDF, 279 K)
Submitted slides undergo a rigorous review process. Each slide scrutinized by three board-certified pathologists, who must concur with the reference diagnosis for acceptance of the slide into the program. In addition, slides must meet the following criteria:
- All cases must have tissue confirmation of the reference interpretation. Please write the biopsy diagnosis on the Donor Form, or send an anonymized copy of the biopsy report.
- Cases must have only one reportable parameter (i.e., adenocarcinoma or candida, not adenocarcinoma and candida). Please do NOT submit slides with more than one diagnosis.
- Each submitted case should be accompanied by appropriate clinical history for the patient (i.e., age, clinical presentation, prior cancer history, etc.).
- Materials submitted must be free of patient identifiers.
To maintain the NGC and FNAG Program quality, the following slides cannot be accepted in the program:
- Broken, cracked, chipped or repaired slides
- Slides with air bubbles
- Slides showing fading, drying (particularly around the periphery) or intense orangeophilia
- Slides with plastic or liquid coverslips
- Cases with indeterminate or vague diagnoses (i.e., atypical cells rule out malignancy, poorly differentiated malignancy, etc.)
Cases submitted with image enhancements (i.e., static images of ancillary stains, flow cytometry charts, x-rays, etc.) is highly recommended. Images can be written to a CD or DVD and submitted directly with donated slides.
Reimbursement for slides supports your contribution of resources to the programs. Institutions will receive reimbursement for administrative work done for preparing slides that are accepted into the program as follows:
|Slide Preparation Type
Fee for administrative work
|Single Slide + image(s)*
|Multiple slides (pair)
|Multiple slides + images*
* Image reimbursement is given one time only and included with pricing.
Your commitment to providing the highest quality patient
care is reflected in all you do. Thank you for sharing your case materials
with your peers.
Download the IRS W-9 Form (PDF, 89 K). This form should be filled out and sent in with your first donation.