Updated May 12, 2011
Perspectives on Emerging Technology Report (POET):
Developed by the Technology Assessment Committee (TAC), Perspectives on Emerging Technology (POET) reports and white papers are designed to provide pathologists with a high-level summary of a particular emerging technology that is likely to impact their practice in the reasonable future. POET reports help pathologists respond to clinician or patient inquiries about a technology. Its format includes a one-page summary plus select references (e.g., peer-reviewed articles, for further information and research.)
Although POETs deliver a short overview of a specific innovative technology, they are not a definitive technology assessment of the techniques used or a “how to” cookbook on implementing a test in a practice. Rather, they are intended to be used as an educational tool leading to a more detailed investigation by the Center, Council on Scientific Affairs, TAC or individual pathologists.
TAC’s goal is to develop and distribute at least one new POET report per month through CAP@YourService with links to the TAC web page on the CAP website.
- Prognostic Uses of Microsatellite Testing (HTML | PDF, 68 KB)
- In vivo Microscopy (HTML | PDF, 98 KB)
- Molecular Staging of Cancer (HTML | PDF, 46 KB)
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) (HTML | PDF, 84 KB)
- Human Papillomavirus DNA Testing (HPV) (HTML | PDF, 107 KB)
- KRAS Mutation Testing for Colorectal Cancer (CRC) (HTML | PDF, 90 KB)
- In Vitro Diagnostic Multivariate Index Assays (IVDMIA) (HTML | PDF, 117 KB)
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) (HTML | PDF, 67 KB)