The CAP Pathology & Laboratory Quality Center
- Ensures quality in patient-centric diagnostic medicine through guideline development.
- Uses evidence to support development of practice guidelines and protocols.
- Employs a multidisciplinary approach and collaborates with other organizations to ensure broad acceptance of guidelines.
- Facilitates the coordination of consensus activities in the absence of evidence-based practice guidelines.
Why is the Center Critical?
- The Center helps pathologists and other clinicians make more informed decisions about diagnosis and optimal treatment, and places emphasis on transforming the pathologist’s role to the center of patient care.
- The Center illustrates that pathologists strive for self-regulation and continuous improvement. The development and adoption of new guidelines results in more effective use of testing, consistent, high-quality results and expert interpretations.
- The Center facilitates stronger alliances with other medical specialties and patient advocacy organizations.