Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, the College of American Pathologists (CAP) is recommending a modified inspection process to adapt to the current climate in health care and to provide for increased safety measures.
To facilitate the modified process, team leaders will communicate with laboratories scheduled to be inspected to ensure:
- Access on inspection day(s)
- Adherence to safety precautions
Key changes. The CAP:
- Recommends a pre-inspection document review step
- Now offers a 2020 Modified Inspections Toolkit
We encourage all laboratories and inspectors to adopt the addition of a document review step (refer to the 2020 Modified Inspections Overview document below) prior to the on-site inspection. This document review step will:
- Decrease the number of inspectors needed for the on-site visit and
- Allow the exchange of ideas and dialogue that are the hallmarks of CAP accreditation inspections
To help you prepare for your upcoming inspection, two new documents are now available in the Inspector Toolkit within the Accreditation Resources in e-LAB Solutions Suite at cap.org:
- 2020 Modified Inspections Overview: Provides an overview of the CAP’s modified inspection process (including the new document review step) for inspectors and laboratories
- Inspection Scenario Resource: Identifies common inspection scenarios likely to be encountered and frequently asked questions about regulatory requirements to help guide you on how to respond to such situations
CAP staff are available to assist with any questions or concerns that occur during the inspection at 800-323-4040, option 1.