Communication Date: September 14, 2022
NOTE: The information below was current at the time of communication. Subsequent CAP changes, if applicable, are not reflected in this eAlert.
The CAP has made important revisions to the immunohistochemistry (IHC) predictive marker activity menu options and proficiency testing (PT) requirements to address the continued emergence of targeted therapeutics for the treatment of cancer. These updates will better assess the quality of this testing.
The activity menu now differentiates activities for each predictive marker to clearly indicate the staining and/or interpretation services the laboratory performs on site. Your laboratory should review these changes and make updates, as necessary, to ensure appropriate PT enrollment for the 2023 program year.
- Review the new predictive marker activity menu descriptions.
- View new predictive marker activities with examples on how to set up your activity menu here.
- Select one activity for each predictive marker tested to ensure the activity reflects the process performed on site for each marker.
- Updated activities do not apply to markers used for diagnostic or prognostic purposes.
- Update your activity menu online by accessing Organization Profile in e-LAB Solutions Suite at cap.org.
- Review the updated IHC predictive marker PT requirements for 2023.
- Laboratories performing both IHC staining and interpretation at the same laboratory for breast predictive markers, gastric HER2, and high sensitivity ALK must enroll in PT.
- Laboratories only performing predictive marker IHC staining (slides interpreted at a different laboratory) must perform alternative performance assessment.
- Laboratories only performing predictive marker IHC interpretations (slides are stained at a different laboratory) must perform alternative performance assessment.
- Register for upcoming Focus on Compliance webinars to learn more about this and other checklist updates.
- October 19, 2022: "2022 CAP Accreditation Checklist Updates: Changes that Matter"
- All Common Checklist requirement COM.01520 - PT and Alternative Performance Assessment for IHC, ICC, and ISH Predictive Markers, will be updated in the 2022 checklist edition to reflect these changes.
- November 16, 2022: "Update on CAP Accreditation Programs: How it Started, How it’s Going"
If you have any questions regarding the activity menu updates, please contact PT Compliance at email@example.com or phone: 800-323-4040 ext. 6052.
Please call the CAP Customer Contact Center at 1-800-323-4040 option 1, +001-847-832-7000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the CAP PT programs for this testing.