To improve patient care by
- Promoting the accuracy, precision, and overall quality of laboratory results in clinical chemistry
- Evaluating emerging trends in clinical chemistry, incorporating improvements into proficiency testing and education
- Overseeing the development, maintenance, operation, and cost-effectiveness of CAP clinical chemistry proficiency testing programs
- Advising the CAP Laboratory Accreditation Program on issues related to clinical chemistry
- Providing expertise and education to other programs of the CAP and to CAP members
- Maintaining liaisons with other relevant organizations
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||3|
|Length of meetings||2 days|
|Typical meeting days||Saturday and Sunday|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Members 30+, Vice Chair 45+, Chair 75+|
|Additional travel or time commitments||
Activities of Committee
- Monitor new and emerging issues/practices/technologies in clinical chemistry that may affect patient safety.
- Provide expertise for potential proficiency testing products. Actively encourage CAP to develop new products to meet needs of field.
- Contribute to the advancement of clinical chemistry by continually providing information for publication in CAP TODAY, specifically the Q&A section
- Professional and statistical oversight of the Chemistry Surveys Program.
- Contribute to the continuing education of members through Survey discussions, educational activities, papers, and other various publications.
- Provide support to the CAP and other CAP committees and programs.
Expertise or Experience
- A broad knowledge of clinical chemistry or expertise in one or more areas of interest to the committee
- The chair should have a broad understanding of clinical pathology and the functioning of the College
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to play a significant role in the shaping the practice of clinical chemistry nationally and contributing to patient care
- The opportunity to meet and work with recognized experts in the field
Representation on Committee Beyond the CAP
- One liaison from American Association for Clinical Chemistry