Federal agencies regularly issue guidance and regulations concerning the COVID-19 pandemic and related health care issues. The CAP engages with the federal government and Congress on related public health policies through its mission of serving patients and the public by advocating excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine. Review and click on the latest information below from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and other regulatory bodies. Many state, city, and other local municipalities may have additional guidance for the public to follow in their own communities.
Updated September 28, 2022: The CDC recommends people who have symptoms of COVID-19 or who have had known exposure to someone with COVID-19 should be tested. A person’s vaccination status does not affect the results of their viral test for SARS-CoV-2. Screening testing can provide important information to limit transmission and outbreaks in high-risk congregate settings.
Go to the CDC’s website for information on testing strategies for SARS-CoV-2, antibody testing guidelines, pooling testing, and more.
Updated October 12, 2022: The FDA recently authorized bivalent COVID-19 vaccines for use as a booster dose in younger age groups. COVID-19 vaccines authorized for emergency use or are FDA approved include:
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccines
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccines
- Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
- Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted
Public Health Recommendations
Updated October 24, 2022: The CDC recommends that individuals get vaccinated and stay up to date. Additional guidance is provided for people who are moderately or severely immunocompromised.
CAP Statements and Letters
- CAP Webinar with the FDA on Emergency Use Authorization Process (October 25, 2022)
- CAP Statement Against Misleading COVID-19 Information (September 7, 2021)
- CAP Supports Vaccine Requirements for Physicians and Other Health Care Professionals Caring for Patients (August 18, 2021)
- The COVID Vaccine: Building Trust in the Black Community (April 2, 2021)
- CAP Supports House Committee’s $46 Billion Fund for COVID-19 Testing and Supplies (February 11, 2021)
- CAP Statement on the Release of the National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response, Pandemic Preparedness (January 21, 2021)
- CAP Statement on Executive Actions Concerning COVID-19 Tests (January 21, 2021)
- Prioritizing the COVID-19 Vaccine to Protect Patient Access to Diagnostics (December 17, 2020)
- CAP Statement on the Current Role of Serologic Testing for SARS-CoV-2 (May 13, 2020)