PathNET is the CAP's grassroots advocacy network, a resource for CAP members to connect with their elected officials at the federal and state level. Through PathNET, pathologists can build relationships with their legislators and assist the CAP in achieving our legislative goals.
A strong presence in a legislator's district is critical to successful legislative action. For the CAP to have an impact in Congress, we must have a voice in key states and Congressional districts.
You have the opportunity to participate in grassroots activities at various levels , each with their own corresponding member benefits. PathNET offers a variety of tools for members to engage in legislative action that will have a direct impact on pathologists and the ability to practice.
Nothing influences a member of Congress more than when they hear from their constituents. By joining PathNET, members can be a voice for pathologists and influence legislators' decisions on issues that impact you and your practice.
Newly Released PathNET Advocacy Course
Learn more about the legislative process and with how Congress drafts and enacts legislation by taking the self-guided advocacy course, Grassroots Advocacy: How to Get Involved, for PathNET credit. The modules provide an overview of health policy terms, define the CAP’s committees of jurisdiction, and guide you through the latest policy issues pathologists are facing. The successful completion of this course will earn you points for maintaining or graduating to a higher PathNET level tier. Direct any questions to PathNET@cap.org.
Tools for Advocates
- Advocacy 101: Health Policy Basics for Pathology Residents (August 9, 2017)
- Health Policy Acronyms (PDF, 138 KB)
- Essential Tools Engaging in Grassroots Advocacy Webinar (April 5, 2017)
- A Seat At The Table—the Impact Only You Can Make On The Future Of Pathology Webinar (February 21, 2017)
- Host a Laboratory Tour
- Tips for Being an Effective Advocate (PDF, 124 KB)
- Guide to Congressional Staff (PDF, 59 KB)
- Legislative Process: How a Bill Becomes a Law (PDF, 73 KB)
- Differences Between Legislation and Regulation (PDF, 81 KB)
- Taking Advocacy to the Hill (Video, 6.31 minutes)
- 2021 Senate Calendar
- 2021 House Calendar
Congressional Management Foundation Videos
The Congressional Management Foundation's Partnership for a More Perfect Union is dedicated to enhancing citizen engagement and improving communication between citizens and Congress. As part of the Partnership, the CAP is able to provide for CAP members these videos on how Congress works, what to expect in meetings with legislators, and how to be an effective advocate.