This clinical practice guideline was developed to address appropriate testing of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) status in patients with gastric and gastroesophageal (GEA) cancers. The overarching questions that the guideline development panel of experts addressed were:
- What is the optimal testing algorithm to assess HER2 status in patients with GEA?
- What strategies can help ensure optimal performance, interpretation, and reporting of established assays in patients with GEA?
Eleven recommendations are included to address opportunities for improving patient outcomes. Recommendations are separated to support those who perform tumor tissue testing as well as those who treat the patient. By addressing elements across the patient care continuum, this guideline will help establish standard HER2 testing, improve the accuracy of the test interpretation, guide HER2-targeted therapies, and provide accurate, personalized care for gastric cancer patients.
The joint evidence-based guideline, "HER2 Testing and Clinical Decision Making in Gastroesophageal Adenocarcinoma: Guideline From the College of American Pathologists, American Society for Clinical Pathology, and American Society of Clinical Oncology," is published in the Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, and the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Guideline status: Active
- Published online ahead of print: November 14, 2016
- Originally published: December 2016
Download the following:
- Summary of Recommendations (PDF, 559 KB)
- Methodology Supplement (Supplemental Digital Content) (PDF, 325 KB)
- HER2 Testing and Clinical Decision Making in Gastroesophageal Adenocarcinoma Teaching Presentation (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Algorithm for Pathologists (PDF, 621 KB)
- Algorithm for Clinicians (PDF, 593 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 117 KB)
- Infographic (PDF, 333 KB)