The use of standard molecular marker testing for patients with early and advanced colorectal cancer (CRC) helps to guide targeted therapy decisions, and advance personalized care for these patients.
A panel of experts collaborated to establish 21 guideline statements—eight recommendations, 10 expert consensus opinions, and three "no recommendations." This thorough set of recommendations is intended to streamline processes and contribute to improving patient outcomes.
The evidence-based clinical practice guideline, "Molecular Biomarkers for the Evaluation of Colorectal Carcinoma: Guideline From the American Society for Clinical Pathology , the College of American Pathologists, the Association for Molecular Pathology, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology," addresses the overarching questions:
The overarching questions that the guideline development panel of experts addressed were:
- What biomarkers are useful to select patients with colorectal cancer (CRC) for targeted and conventional therapies?
- How should tissue specimens be processed for biomarker testing for CRC management?
- How should biomarker testing for CRC management be performed?
- How should molecular testing of CRC be implemented and operationalized?
- Are there emerging genes/biomarkers that should be routinely tested in CRC?
This guideline published in the Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine will benefit a wide range of stakeholders including oncologists, pathologists, gastroenterologists, nurses, allied health professionals, hospital or laboratory administrators, quality managers, patient advocacy groups, patients, and their families or caregivers.
- Guideline status: Active
- Published online ahead of print: February 6, 2017
- Originally published: May 2017
Guideline Tools & Resources
Download the following:
- Summary of Recommendations (PDF, 244 KB)
- Methodology Supplement (Supplemental Digital Content) (PDF, 423 KB)
- Teaching Presentation (PDF, 275 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 226 KB)
- Infographic (PDF, 694 KB)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- Association for Molecular Pathology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
Molecular Biomarkers for the Evaluation of Colorectal Cancer Guideline
Review more CAP evidence-based guidelines by the Center.