To strengthen the profession of pathology nationwide, we partner with state pathology societies to bolster advocacy efforts at the state and federal levels on issues including:
- Insurance network adequacy
- Billing for pathology services
- Protecting scope of practice
- Medicare, Medicaid, and private sector payment
- Laboratory benefit management programs
For more information on advocacy support available through the CAP, please contact Barry Ziman in our Washington, DC office.
Partnering with State Pathology Societies
Growing Your Membership— a Guide for State Pathology Societies
Our new guide outlines actionable steps you can take to help gain new members, increase renewal rates, and keep your society thriving into the future. Included are sample email and personal letter templates to aid in the creation of your messages, emails, and letters. Fill out and submit a short form to receive the resources via email.
Meeting Support for State Pathology Societies
Partner with the CAP to successfully execute your next state society meeting. The CAP has multiple levels of support for your society as you plan your next meeting, including:
- Meeting promotion: Your meeting dates can be included in the CAP’s events calendar.
- Guest speakers: CAP leadership is available to speak at your meeting on Advocacy, Laboratory Improvement, and Quality.
- Use of the CAP’s virtual meeting platform: This is available to state pathology societies for a maximum of three times each year at no charge. CAP staff will run the platform for your virtual meeting. Use this form to get started.
- Joint Providership: As an accredited (with commendation) ACCME provider, we are proud to offer Joint Providership at a discounted rate to state pathology societies. If your state society offers educational activities complementary to CAP’s mission statement, we are happy to consider your educational program(s) for our Joint Providership program. Learn more about Joint Providership.
Affiliate Agreements to Help Build Membership
Our affiliate agreement is an excellent opportunity to build your state pathology society membership. By signing the agreement, you share your current membership list with the CAP. In return, we provide a member list with a preferred address in your state served by the state pathology society.
Our member list may be used for state pathology society business such as:
- Notification of society meetings and offerings
- Calls to action
- Invitations to join or renew membership
Currently, 32 state societies have signed affiliate agreements with CAP to help in their membership efforts.
Working Together for Success
“After almost a decade of advocacy effort, the CAP— working with our state pathology society and numerous other stakeholders—secured New York State recognition of the CAP proficiency testing program. This is a huge regulatory relief for our multihospital laboratory system, which will no longer be required to take the state program as well. Advocacy efforts can take years to bring about change, but this accomplishment eliminated a duplicative requirement, saving us time and resources that can be better used in other quality efforts.”James M Crawford, MD, PhD, FCAP Professor and Chair, Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine Executive Director and Senior Vice President, Laboratory Services North Shore- LIJ Health System
“CAP and the Tennessee Society of Pathologists closed the laboratory anti-kickback loophole that afforded an unfair and unethical competitive advantage to out-of-state labs. Within a year of my email and call to CAP the legislation was passed, even though it was opposed by some who wanted to continue the unfair practice. Closing this loophole helps protect Tennessee labs and Tennessee patients.”Ben W. Davis, MD, FCAP Chairman, President, & CEO PathGroup
State News—We All Win When We Work Together
- NJ Pathologists, CAP Fight for Network Adequacy
- Ohio Pathologists, CAP Seek Revision to Out-of-Network Reimbursement
- Advocacy Win: Two Autopsy Bills Supported by Mississippi Pathologists, CAP Signed Into Law
- Rhode Island Pathologists, CAP Oppose Genetic Counselors Interpreting Test Results
- Arizona Pathologists, CAP Secures Amendment in Genetic Testing Legislation
For questions about state societies?