Under MIPS, pathologists are included if they are an eligible clinician type and meet the low volume threshold, which is based on allowed charges for covered professional services under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) and the number of Medicare Part B patients who are furnished covered professional services under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule.
Performance is measured through the data clinicians report in four areas - Quality, Improvement Activities, Promoting Interoperability (formerly Advancing Care Information), and Cost. CMS designed MIPS to update and consolidate previous programs, including: Medicare Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Program for Eligible Clinicians, Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS), and the Value-Based Payment Modifier (VBM).
Because the program rules change from year to year, the CAP has organized the content based on the performance year (PY).
2020 Reporting Timeline
- Performance period opened January 1, 2020
- Performance period ends December 31, 2020
- Report 2020 data by March 31, 2021
- Feedback available July 2021
- Payment adjustment implemented (+/- 9%) January 1, 2021
2019 Reporting Timeline
- Performance period opened January 1, 2019
- Performance period ended December 31, 2019
- Report 2019 data by March 31, 2020
- Feedback available July 2020
- Payment adjustment implemented (+/- 7%) January 1, 2021
2018 Reporting Timeline
- Performance period opened January 1, 2018
- Performance period ended December 31, 2018
- Report 2018 data by March 31, 2019
- Feedback available July 2019
- Payment adjustment applied to Medicare Part B reimbursements (+/- 5%) January 1, 2020
We have a dedicated team to help you navigate to MIPS reporting success.
Phone: 800-323-4040, option 3