To advance CAP’s leadership position in genomic medicine and diagnostics; to expand CAP’s capabilities to support a diversity of NGS based PT programs; and to keep CAP members informed on advances in the practice of genomic medicine and diagnostics and to represent their interests.
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||3|
|Length of meetings||1–2 days|
|Typical meeting days||Friday and Saturday|
|Meeting locations||Two non-local, one local|
|Number of conference calls||12 per year; 1-1.5 hours each|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Vice Chair and other members 30–40, Chair 75+|
|Additional travel or time commitments||Committee member attendance at CAP events (ie Spring House of Delegates/Residents Forum (HOD/RF), Policy, and Annual meetings) is strongly encouraged|
Activities of Committee
- Coordinate and develop responses to FDA and other governmental initiatives pertaining to the regulatory oversight of NGS-based clinical testing.
- Serve as an oversight mechanism and contributor to NGS focused guidelines, accreditation requirements, standards, white paper development, and publication throughout CAP.
- Review of the CAP global Genomic Medicine Strategy on a periodic basis and prioritize initiatives, including a long-term roadmap for PT development in coordination with other Resource Committees.
- Harmonize reporting of genomics results (eg, sequence variant nomenclature) used in PT programs.
Expertise or Experience
- Expertise in molecular genetic pathology
- Experience in the establishment and oversight of NGS based diagnostic testing
- Interest in promoting excellence in the practice of genomic medicine and diagnostics
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to contribute to CAP’s leadership role in genomic medicine and diagnostics
- Opportunity to participate in PT product development
- Opportunity to represent CAP in the area of genomic medicine and diagnostics
Representation on committee beyond the CAP
- Chair could be a future member of the Council on Scientific Affairs