To define and monitor the state of the art and emerging technologies in clinical microbiology, to contribute to development, maintenance, and enhancement of CAP clinical microbiology proficiency testing and other quality assurance programs; to provide information and expertise in clinical microbiology to the College for furtherance of its programs; and to maintain liaison, where appropriate, with other national and global organizations concerned with clinical microbiology.
Guidance from the CAP’s Microbiology Committee
The CAP's Microbiology Committee provides guidance as to the pros and cons related to multi-stage, group testing of pooled specimens related to SARS-CoV-2.
CAP Press Publications
The following publications are available for purchase through our CAP Press Publications site.
- Mycology Benchtop Reference Guide: An Illustrated Guide for Commonly Encountered Fungi
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||3|
|Length of meetings||2 days|
|Typical meeting days||Friday and Saturday|
|Meeting locations||One meeting is held in Chicago. The others will be held in the continental United States.|
|Number of conference calls||3|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Members 75+, Vice Chair 100+, Chair 150+|
Activities of Committee
- Support the Surveys Microbiology program by selecting specifications, reviewing participant instructions, reviewing participant data and writing on final critique discussions.
- Prepare continuing education questions and material for several Surveys.
- Provide expertise to employee health physicians in cases of Laboratory Accidents.
- Provide expertise to participants who contact the College for information on current microbiology practice.
- Work with laboratory education to develop and update microbiology checklist questions.
Expertise or Experience
- Those with expertise in current microbiology practice in bacteriology, parasitology, virology, mycology, and/or molecular microbiology diagnostics
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to work with leaders in the field of microbiology to improve laboratory practice
Representation on Committee Beyond the CAP
- Two Consultants