To address the standardization requirements of current and evolving laboratory technologies and practices for the benefit of patients; to serve as the focus for the CAP review and input on the activities of national and international standard setting organizations through recommendation of appropriate delegate and liaison members to other professional organizations; and to coordinate with other committees of the CAP to oversee the review of pathology and laboratory medicine components of standards set forth by medical specialty societies.
Shorts on Standards
Access the committee liaisons summary reports, Shorts on Standards.
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||2|
|Length of meetings||1 day|
|Additional travel or time commitments||Attendance at the Council on Scientific Affairs Leadership meetings for committee chair|
Activities of Committee
- Oversees development of paper standards from Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
- Nominates members to CLSI and ISO document development committees.
- Oversees outbound liaisons of committees reporting to the Council on Scientific Affairs.
- Review Outbound Liaison Reports to professional organizations and working groups where Outbound Liaisons are appointed to.
The outbound liaisons are committee members or designees who share topics that would be of interest to pathologists discussed at the meetings they attend with Standards Committee members. The Standards Committee members might partner with outbound liaisons to publish Shorts on Standards in CAP Today. The following is a current list of organizations that the outbound liaisons are appointed to.
American College of Medical Genetics
ASA Committee on Blood Management
ASC Cytotech Programs Review Committee
Association of Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology
Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Hlth Education Programs (CAAHEP)
Cytopathology Education and Technology Consortium
External Quality Assurance in Thrombosis & Hemostasis (EQATH)
Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy
International Council for the Standardization of Hematology
International Quality Network for Pathology
International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT)
International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
ISO TC 212 TC and TAG
ISO TC 212 Working Group 1 on Quality Management
ISO TC 212 Working Group 2 on Reference Systems
ISO TC 212 Working Group 3 In-Vitro Diagnostic Products
ISO TC 212 Working Group 4 Anti-Microbial Susceptibility
ISO TC 276 Biotechnology Group
Joint WASPaLM/IFCC Task Force on Chronic Kidney Disease
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine Roundtable on Genomics and Precision Health
National Association of Medical Examiners
National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) Histocompatibility Advisory Group
Expertise or Experience
- Interest in establishing national and global standards
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to influence the guidelines and standards to which clinical laboratories must comply
Representation on Committee Beyond the CAP
- Possibility to represent the Standards Committee to CLSI and ISO.