A College of American Pathologists accreditation program designed for the unique needs of forensic drug testing laboratories.
- Peer-based inspection model using practicing professionals as inspectors, who are qualified through a CAP inspector training program.
- On-site inspections occur every two years using CAP Accreditation Checklists to assess compliance with program requirements.
- Intended for laboratories that perform confirmatory testing on urine, oral fluid, hair, and whole blood and urine screen-only testing by nonwaived methods.
- This program is not intended for medical testing or Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments compliance.
- The program also accepts laboratories that perform urine screen-only testing by nonwaived methods (confirmation testing must be performed by a CAP Forensic Drug Testing accredited or Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) certified laboratory).
- Information specific to international laboratories interested in CAP Accreditation is available in the International Laboratories section.