To improve patient care by
- Promoting standardization and harmonization of clinical laboratory results
- Promoting the quality of commercially available and laboratory developed measurement procedures
- Monitoring new reference systems for clinical laboratory tests
- Developing and monitoring CAP Accuracy Based Surveys
- Providing expertise and education to CAP and its members
- Maintaining liaisons with other relevant organizations
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||2|
|Length of meetings||2 days|
|Typical meeting days||Saturday, Sunday|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Members 30+, Vice Chair 45+, Chair 75+|
|Additional travel or time commitments||
Activities of Committee
- Monitor new and emerging issues/practices/technologies in clinical chemistry that may affect patient safety.
- Provide expertise for potential proficiency testing products. Actively encourage CAP to develop new products to meet needs of field.
- Contribute to the advancement of clinical chemistry by continually providing information for publication in CAP TODAY, specifically the Q&A section
- Professional and statistical oversight of the Accuracy Based Surveys Program.
- Contribute to the continuing education of members through Survey discussions, educational activities, papers, and other various publications.
- Provide support to the CAP and other CAP committees and programs.
Expertise or Experience
- A broad knowledge of clinical chemistry including specific knowledge on development of commutable material and analyte stability
- The chair should have a broad understanding of clinical pathology and the functioning of the College
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to play a significant role in the shaping the practice of clinical chemistry nationally and contributing to patient care
- The opportunity to meet and work with recognized experts in the field
Representation on Committee Beyond the CAP
Participant Summary Reports and Discussions
The discussions in the Participant Summary Reports provide reviews of participant results from the accuracy-based surveys and educate participants on advancements in the field.