To improve patient care by
- Promoting standardization and harmonization of clinical laboratory results to ensure appropriate application of laboratory results for patient care
- Monitoring new reference procedures as they apply to clinical testing procedures
- Monitoring CAP Accuracy Surveys to monitor performance of field methods developing and maintaining appropriate materials to allow monitoring of performance of laboratory developed tests (LDTs)
- Providing expertise and education to other programs of the CAP and to CAP members
- Maintaining liaisons with other relevant organizations
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||2|
|Length of meetings||1 day|
|Typical meeting days||Saturday only|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Members 30+, Vice Chair 45+, Chair 75+|
|Additional travel or time commitments||
Activities of Committee
- Monitor new and emerging issues/practices/technologies in clinical chemistry that may affect patient safety.
- Provide expertise for potential proficiency testing products. Actively encourage CAP to develop new products to meet needs of field.
- Contribute to the advancement of clinical chemistry by continually providing information for publication in CAP TODAY, specifically the Q&A section
- Professional and statistical oversight of the Accuracy Based Surveys Program.
- Contribute to the continuing education of members through Survey discussions, educational activities, papers, and other various publications.
- Provide support to the CAP and other CAP committees and programs.
Expertise or Experience
- A broad knowledge of clinical chemistry including specific knowledge on development of commutable material and analyte stability
- The chair should have a broad understanding of clinical pathology and the functioning of the College
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to play a significant role in the shaping the practice of clinical chemistry nationally and contributing to patient care
- The opportunity to meet and work with recognized experts in the field
Representation on Committee Beyond the CAP
- One liaison from American Association for Clinical Chemistry
Participant Summary Reports and Discussions
The discussions in the Participant Summary Reports provide reviews of participant results from the accuracy-based surveys and educate participants on advancements in the field.