Access the following resources to improve performance and reporting.
Autopsy Practice Resources
- Resident Competency in Autopsy Pathology Checklist (PDF, 28 KB)
- Postmortem Flow Chart (PowerPoint Slide) (PDF, 16 KB)
- Guide for Requesting Autopsies (PDF, 108 KB)
- Sample Autopsy Consent and Authorization Form (PDF, 193 KB)
- Guidelines for Cooperation Between Pathologists and Funeral Professions (PDF, 102 KB)
Autopsy Fee-for-Service List
The autopsy fee-for-service list consists of members of the College of American Pathologists (CAP) who expressed an interest in performing autopsies on a fee-for-service basis.
Member pathologists must log in to access the request form if you want to include your information on the list. The list is a service to members of the public seeking a pathologist to perform an autopsy.
Submit Autopsy Cases
Subscribers and residents may share interesting cases with the greater pathology community by participating as an author for this program. Learn how to submit an autopsy case (PDF, 100 KB).
Sample Autopsy Case Information
- Read a sample case on Alzheimer Disease (PDF, 83 KB)
- Download the AUCD Case List 2007-2015 (PDF, 70 KB)
CAP Public Policies
The CAP Public Policies outline the CAP's positions on the following issues:
- Criteria for Autopsies
- Restrictions on the Uses of Autopsy Materials
- Payment and Performance of the Autopsy Service
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Certification of Death
- Observation of an Autopsy as Punishment
- Informed Consent for Autopsy
- Consent for Autopsy Organ and Tissue Retention
- Definition of Autopsy
Autopsy Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Articles
- Accounting for the Professional Work of Pathologists Performing Autopsies
- Pathologist Effort in the Performance of Fetal, Perinatal, and Pediatric Autopsies
- Small Patients, Complex Challenging Cases: A Reappraisal of the Professional Efforts in Perinatal Autopsies
- Confirmation of Cause and Manner of Death Via a Comprehensive Cardiac Autopsy Including Whole Exome Next-Generation Sequencing
- The Pediatric Autopsy in Africa
- Perinatal Pathologic Examination of Nonintact, Second-Trimester Fetal Demise Specimens
- A Team-Based Approach to Autopsy Education
- Who Will Do My Autopsy?
CAP Press Publications
The following publications are available through the CAP Press Publications.
- Cause of Death and the Death Certificate
- Special Autopsy Dissections
- Introduction to Autopsy Technique, Step-by-Step Diagrams
- Quality Management in Anatomic Pathology: Strategies for Assessment, Improvement, and Assurance
- Autopsy Performance and Reporting, 3rd Edition Cause of Death and the Death Certificate
- Autopsy: Aiding the Living By Understanding Death
Join the Autopsy Committee
Learn more about our committee activities and how to join the Autopsy Committee.
- Login and CAP Membership Required.