To improve the quality of patient care and safety in physician office laboratories (POLs), in small hospital laboratories, and for point-of-care testing (POCT), the Point of Care Testing Committee will
- Define and monitor state of the art and emerging technologies
- Contribute to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of effective proficiency testing and accreditation programs
- Provide information and expertise to the CAP
- Contribute to the continuing education of members and laboratory staff
- Provide for the effective submission of information by the CAP to regulatory agencies
- Maintain liaisons where appropriate, with other organizations concerned with point-of-care testing
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||3|
|Length of meetings||1 days|
|Typical meeting days||Friday or Saturday|
|Meeting locations||The meeting is usually less than 30 miles from an airport.|
|Number of conference calls||3-4 per year depending on project assignments|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Members 40+, Vice Chair 45+, Chair 60+;
Additional hours if presenting symposia
|Additional travel or time commitments||Attendance at the Council on Scientific Affairs Leadership meeting (for the chair)|
Activities of Committee
- Required to serve as a primary or secondary author each year on a continuing education piece that accompanies CAP proficiency testing program materials.
- Oversees the Laboratory Accreditation Program POCT Checklist.
- Monitors emerging technologies in the area of POCT.
- Provides expertise to the CAP on POCT-relevant topics.
Expertise or Experience
- Interest in promoting pathology as a specialty, and POCT as a subspecialty.
- Work with POCT situations.
- An interest in promoting excellence and quality in POCT.
- Desire to promote quality in POCT.
- Ability to communicate with non-pathologists about POCT.
- Interest in authoring educational pieces that provide continuing education credits for CAP proficiency testing program participants.
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Opportunity to publish education materials.
- Opportunity to speak at education events.
- Opportunity to meet and discuss issues with colleagues.