- To enhance the brand of pathology and pathologists through professional development programs, services, and tools that support CAP members in demonstrating their value.
- To support connection building and effective knowledge exchange between CAP members, their patients, clinical partners, and others.
Reports to the Council on Membership and Professional Development
View a list of our Current Committee Members.
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||
|Length of meetings||1.5 days|
|Typical meeting days||Saturday and Sunday morning|
|Meeting locations||The meeting is usually less than 30 miles from an airport. At least one meeting each year takes place in Chicago.|
|Number of conference calls||Monthly|
|Hours/year of committee work required outside of meetings||Members 24-40, Vice Chair 50-60, Chair 60-80|
|Additional travel or time commitments||
Activities of Committee
The PCEC works to educate both colleagues and patients of the importance of pathology and pathologists, through professional development programs, and the development of tools and services. Below are just a few examples of the committee’s work.
- Engaged Leadership Academy
This two-day course, overseen by the PCEC, is designed to better prepare CAP members to communicate the value of pathology and their role as a pathologist to the community and to colleagues.
- Patient Education
The PCEC assists with campaigns and news articles on how to educate both colleagues and patients of the pathologist’s role in their care team. Highlights include:
Expertise or Experience
- Willingness to speak in public and with media would be useful
- Desire to enhance the public image of pathologists and the profession
- Interest in public perception of health care issues and in communicating to public and other audiences regarding pathologists vital role in quality patient care
- Willingness to network with other pathologists and clinicians to demonstrate the value pathologists bring to health care
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Help raise and shape the image of pathologists and pathology as a profession
- Provide input into CAP Engaged Leaders Network strategic direction