To ensure that the accreditation requirements of the CAP's Laboratory Accreditation Program are a practical tool to promote high standards in pathology and laboratory medicine, embrace a global outlook, are equal to or go beyond regulatory demands, and improve patient care.
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||3|
|Length of meetings||1 day|
|Typical meeting days||Friday/Saturday|
|Meeting locations||One meeting takes place in Chicago and the others take place in two other locations.|
|Number of conference calls||Usually 6 or less|
|Hours per year||15+|
|Additional travel or time commitments||The chair is a member of the Commission on Laboratory Accreditation. Other members may join task groups working on special checklist projects.|
Activities of Committee
- Works with appropriate Council on Scientific Affairs committees to:
- Develop and maintain up-to-date Accreditation Checklists
- Use information on problematic questions (eg, most common deficiencies, items identified by inspectors and laboratories as unclear concerning intent) to improve checklist content.
- Provides information and scientific expertise for matters relating to laboratory safety for inclusion in the checklists and monitors and comments on related regulatory issues.
- Oversees development and ongoing maintenance of crosswalks to Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), the Joint Commission and other related agency standards, and ensures that the program standards and checklists accurately incorporate all CLIA regulations.
- Provides input on checklist tools and guidance documents for Laboratory Inspection Preparation.
Expertise or Experience
- Good working knowledge of the laboratory accreditation requirements
- Knowledge of other regulatory requirements such as CLIA
- Special expertise in one or more laboratory disciplines
- Previous experience as a regional or state commissioner is also desired
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Gain experience in regulatory and accreditation compliance in both anatomic and clinical pathology.